Maj.Gen. Eric Paytherus Nares CBE MC (1892-1947)

The youngest son of Ramsay Nares, born on 9 July 1892, he went to Marlborough like his brother Llewelyn and then Sandhurst.  He became a career soldier and was serving with the Cheshire Regiment in India at the time of his father's death in 1934.  He married a Dutch lady, Jeanne Hubertine and she accompanied him to Palestine when he was serving there.

They had no children and sadly she died of sand-fly fever out there. He never re-married.

He fought in both World Wars and received many decorations. In WW1 he served in France and Belgium, was wounded twice, mentioned in despatches three times and awarded the MC with a bar. He was sent to Palestine between the wars and was mentioned in despatches twice. In WW2 he served in the Middle East, North Africa and Central Mediterranean, was mentioned in despatches five times and received the CBE.  In 1946 he was awarded the Legion of Merit by the USA for his work in Italy during 1944, as the following citation dated 29th Jan 1946,  from the White House explains:-



Major General E.P.Nares, C.B.E., M.C., British Army, displayed exceptionally meritorious conduct in the performance of outstanding services in Italy from January to November 1944.  At this time, the principal United States military effort in eastern Italy, an area under the Allied Force Headquarters control, was the mission of the Fifteenth Air Force.  General Nares, as Commanding General of the district exercising this control, set a fine example of Anglo-American cooperation.  With complete understanding of the tactical requirements, he often anticipated the needs of the American forces and always provided facilities with a minimum of delay.  Intricate problems of great importance to the Allied cause were handled adroitly, speedily and agreeably by him.  The friendly, forceful competence with which General Nares managed an area wherein representatives of nearly every Allied nation served was a valuable contribution to our war effort.

Harry Truman

His last post was as Commandant of the British troops in Berlin after the War.  He held that post until he became ill with lung cancer, as a result of a lifetime of heavy smoking.  He died at Queen Alexandra's Military Hospital, London, on 18th June 1947 and was cremated after a service at St Thomas-on-the-Bourne, Farnham, Surrey and his fellow officers had a memorial tablet installed in the sanctuary of the Regimental Chapel in Chester Cathedral.